Do you like science because I’ve got my ion you. https://pun.me/funny/pick-up-lines/#funny-pick-up-lines
Syracuse, NY — Accused killer Kenneth Kinsey is back in jail after a quirk in the state’s bail reform law allowed him to remain free for more than a week following a new drunken driving charge.
Kinsey, 35, is accused of the Jun. 5 shooting death of Bobby Fort Jr., 31, in the 200 block of West Lafayette Avenue. He was arrested and later bailed out of jail on $2 million partially secured bond after his family paid a $200,000 check to the court.https://9b158ace0486e613f4e2699277375889.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
He was then accused on Aug. 23 of drunkenly leading state police on a chase through the town of Clay before crashing into a pole in the village of Liverpool.
But under bail reform, misdemeanor drunken driving is not a crime for which a judge can hold someone in jail under any amount of bail. So after arraignment that evening, Kinsey was released despite his pending murder charge.
The rotating judge who released him had no choice under the state’s bail reform law. But the judge presiding over Kinsey’s murder case is in a different position.
That judge, Stephen Dougherty, wasn’t holding court last week. When he returned, the Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office requested that he give the DWI charge another look. Dougherty heard the case again Wednesday.
And Dougherty decided he had authority to order Kinsey back to jail — nine days after the DWI.
That’s because Dougherty set his own rules when he released Kinsey on bail in the murder case. Those rules are separate from the bail-reform rules.
One of those rules for Kinsey’s release in the murder case was that he not get into more trouble, defense lawyer Paul Carey confirmed. If Kinsey was re-arrested, the judge could rescind his freedom on the murder bail, so long as there was a base level of proof that Kinsey committed the DWI (a 51% chance of guilt, far lower than the “proof beyond a reasonable doubt” standard at trial).
On Wednesday, Dougherty ordered Kinsey held in jail with no bail until he could hear evidence and decide whether there was enough proof of the DWI to rescind his murder bail for good. That hearing is scheduled for next week, so Kinsey will remain jailed until at least then.
Prosecutor Megan Peter is expected to call police to testify that Kinsey was behind the wheel drunk during the police chase in Liverpool. Carey said he will call one of the other men in the car with Kinsey to testify that someone else was driving.
At that point, it will be up to Dougherty to decide whether there’s enough evidence Kinsey committed a new crime while out on bail to keep him locked up until his murder trial.
That decision will have nothing to do with bail reform. https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2021/09/judge-orders-accused-killer-back-to-jail-on-dwi-charge-after-earlier-release-on-bail-reform.html
Braden Jockmyhn, 41, was killed by a suspected DUI driver doing social work for elderly patients. His co-workers are remembering a man who they call a gentle soul.
EL CAJON, Calif. — The DUI suspect accused of plowing his SUV into a building in La Mesa and killing a man inside, faced a judge on Friday. Daniel J. Corona, 61, is accused of driving while high on fentanyl and methamphetamine and crashed is SUV into a building where Braden Jockmyhn, 41, was working at Golden Life Adult Day Healthcare.
“All of our hearts literally broke down in disbelief, it doesn’t even seem real even until this day,” said Tia Banks.
She said right before the crash she was planning to drop off some paperwork for Braden.
“Thinking he was there and there at that moment and to know he didn’t see it coming,” said Banks.
Prosecutors say on July, 28, while doing social work in his La Mesa office on University in front of Helix High School, Braden was hit and killed by Corona who tested positive for fentanyl and methamphetamine.
“This is someone who at 5:30 in the afternoon is so impaired that he drove into a building,” said Cally Bright, Deputy District Attorney, San Diego County.
On Friday, Corona pleaded not guilty to felony gross vehicular manslaughter and possession of controlled substances for distribution.
“He admitted that he uses drugs every single day and that he knows it is wrong,” said Bright.
Prosecutors say Corona has a felony history of drugs and that police found fentanyl, meth and a small amount of cocaine in his SUV.
He broke his back in the crash. Corona’s attorney says he is a caretaker for disabled adults and volunteers at Braille Institute in La Jolla for the last 15 years.
“Every Dui crash is 100 percent preventable and the sad part of this is that there is someone working in their office at 5:30 in the afternoon,” said Bright.
The judge denied no bail and lowered Corona’s bond from $1 million down to $250,000 on several conditions if released including that he cannot drive and has to wear a drug testing patch.
Corona’s public defender told the court the most he could afford for bail is $25,000, which is enough to post ten percent of his posted bail.
Braden’s mother wrote News 8 through Facebook messenger that read in part, “Braden lost his dreams, his goals, his life. Society lost someone who only wanted to help people and make them laugh. I lost my only son and a piece of my heart.”
Most of Braden’s family is on the east coast where he grew up in Connecticut, so his co-workers say they were like family.
“He was the best co-worker; he was an awesome friend and always there for us. Always a joy to be around and a perfectionist,” said Banks.
An online obituary said Braden was an avid weightlifter and was training for competitions.
“He was such a kind gentle soul and definitely did not serve his life cut short like this,” said Banks.
Braden’s co-workers say he had an incredible work ethic, was a talented artist and muralist and will always be missed. https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/dui-suspect-crashed-la-mesa-building-killing-man-pleaded-not-guilty/509-564f2d28-fb7d-421c-aa9d-47abccc93586
Are you a banana because I find you a peeling.https://pun.me/funny/pick-up-lines/#funny-pick-up-lines
As bad as it is in Queens these days, it isn’t the summer of 1993.
No New York Mets player has tossed a firecracker into a parking lot filled with fans like Vince Coleman on that July evening at Dodger Stadium, injuring three people.
No one has sprayed bleach on three reporters as Bret Saberhagen did a couple of days later in another practical joke that went bad.
And no one has challenged a reporter to a fight like Bobby Bonilla.
But this season has had its share of embarrassment and missteps, even by Mets standards.
The year that started with the Mets firing general manager Jared Porter for sending unsolicited and explicit text messages and images to a female reporter in 2016, and has spring-boarded into a lost and intolerable season.
Can you imagine if free agent Trevor Bauer had decided to take the Mets’ offer of $105 million? Bauer, who has been on administrative leave since July 2 while being investigated for sexual assault, instead is the Dodgers’ nightmare.
The latest Mets mess involves the players’ thumbs down gesture to fans, which began Aug. 6, but only came to light over the weekend when new infielder Javy Baez spilled the beans.
“To let them know when we don’t get success we’re going to get booed,” Baez said. “So, they’re going to get booed when we have success.”
It prompted Mets president Sandy Alderson to lash out at his players Sunday evening, saying it would no longer be tolerated, and the message was reinforced in a team meeting Tuesday morning in which the players vowed they would cease and desist.
Baez apologized to his teammates and the fans, saying that he sent a mixed message, and didn’t really mean that he and his teammates hate the fans for booing.
“I didn’t mean to offend anybody,’’ Baez told reporters at Citi Field. “This is something I’ve done in the past, against the other team.”
Francisco Lindor, their second-highest-paid player who also gave the thumbs-down gesture, told reporters at Citi Field that it was never meant to disrespect the fans.
“I apologize,’’ he told reporters. “It was wrong. It was a mistake by putting my thumbs down at a time when it didn’t need to be. My thumb didn’t need to be down. …
“I apologize whoever I offended. It was not my intent to offend people. I’ve never done it in my career.”
And that was just the drama before the first game of the Mets’ two games against the Miami Marlins, with everyone wondering who would be booed during the game, and just how loudly.
Only the Mets would miss the days of 2020, when no fans were permitted into the ballpark during the COVID-19 pandemic, preventing anyone from booing them.
Lindor was met with a mixture of boos and cheers in his first at-bat in front of a small smattering of fans who arrived for the suspended game, with some fans giving the thumbs-down gesture. Baez, who has an ugly .210/.258/.452 slash line since joining the Mets, was heavily booed when he came to the plate as a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning of the first game.
And then celebrated by the same fans him when he got a hit and scored the winning run on a wild scamper from first base in the Mets’ 6-5 ninth-inning comeback inning, losing a diamond earring on his head-first slide. While the Mets were celebrating in the clubhouse, with Alderson was actually on the field with the grounds crew combing the area by home plate, desperately searching for the earring.
Really, we’re not making this up.
No wonder Cohen couldn’t help but send out a tweet on Sunday saying: “I miss the days when the biggest controversy was the black jerseys.’’
Cohen, who dropped $2.475 billion to purchase the Mets 10 months ago, enjoying his team sitting in first place for 90 days, only to watch them go 8-19 in August before Tuesday’s victory, is left with no choice.
It’s time to clean house this offseason.
And it starts with a telephone call to Theo Epstein.
Epstein, who ended World Series droughts with the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs, is exactly who the Mets need now.
He is currently a consultant for Major League Baseball and has ties to the area, including his wife being from New Jersey.
Give Epstein authority to run the entire operation, let him hire and fire who he chooses and simply sit back and watch the Mets morph into one of the game’s elite franchises.
It doesn’t mean Alderson, 73, a loyal soldier, has to be dismissed, but he could remain as a special assistant for as long as he desires.
Let Epstein decide whether Zack Scott, the Mets’ interim GM, stays in the organization or is shown the door – a decision that perhaps became easier after the GM’s arrest early Tuesday morning in White Plains on suspicion of drunk driving.
Luis Rojas could also hang around, but not as the Mets manager. His team is not only underperforming on the field, but he somehow had no idea what his players’ gestures even meant.
Certainly, something dramatic must happen.
You know how thoroughly disgusted Cohen is with his own team when he tweets out the night of Aug. 18: “It’s hard to understand how professional hitters can be this unproductive. The best teams have a more disciplined approach. The slugging and OPS numbers don’t lie.
Well, no one forced the Mets to acquire Baez, and his 36% strikeout rate, at the trade deadline. That decision lies with the front office.
Cohen can blame himself for signing off on Lindor’s 10-year, $341 million contract extension, which was immediately mocked by baseball executives.
Why, even when the Mets acquired Lindor from Cleveland in January, several scouts and talent evaluators insisted he would struggle, citing his offensive woes in a division filled with elite fastball pitchers.
Lo and behold, Lindor is hitting .224 with 11 homers and 38 RBI, including a .316 on-base percentage and .370 slugging percentage. It’s the worst season of his career, and his new contract doesn’t kick in until next season.
The Mets have the next decade to figure out Lindor’s woes, and a month to see if they can find a way to salvage this season, and at least have meaningful games in September.
But when the season ends Oct. 3, Cohen knows what he must do.
The embarrassing memories of the summer of 2021 must be washed away with the powerful spray of bleach, the deafening noise of a firecracker and the fight of a champion.
It starts with a call to Epstein. https://sports.yahoo.com/opinion-only-way-latest-mets-190812844.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
CHARLOTTE, Mich. (WILX) – A semi truck driver is in handcuffs today following a roll over accident on I-69.
According to a Facebook post from the Eaton County Sheriff’s Office, the truck was driving northbound on I-69 south of Charlotte when the driver lost control and crashed into the divider in the construction zone.
Police then arrested the driver upon suspicion of operating under the influence (OWI).
The accident caused the shut down of the highway to give crews time to clean up the scene. According to the post, police believe southbound I-69 should be back open soon, however northbound will be closed for some time. https://www.wilx.com/2021/08/30/suspected-impaired-semi-driver-arrested-following-crash-i-69/
Are you from Starbucks because I like you a latte. https://pun.me/funny/pick-up-lines/#funny-pick-up-lines
BELOIT—A Beloit man has been arrested after he allegedly crashed his truck into a fence at Krueger-Haskell Golf Course on Aug. 25 in Beloit, according to Beloit police.
Jessie Revels, 40, was arrested after he attempted to flee from the vehicle and was taken into custody on possible charges of hit-and-run property adjacent to highway, operating while intoxicated-first offense, operating while suspended, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, and non-registration of an automobile.
It’s unclear if Revels fixed his divot. https://www.beloitdailynews.com/news/local-news/fore-man-arrested-after-crashing-into-beloit-golf-course-fence/article_788c97e0-216e-5b36-adf9-f13a3bf05ee1.html