DUI News

Mets’ former acting GM Zack Scott found not guilty of DWI

Sharing is caring!

Zack Scott at Citi FIeld in front of orange wall in June 2021
Zack Scott at Citi FIeld in front of orange wall in June 2021

Former Mets acting GM Zack Scott was found not guilty on Thursday of DWI and not guilty of driving while ability impaired, and given $100 fines for each.

The Mets moved on from Scott in November, following his arrest in August and his placement on administrative leave by the team.

Scott released a statement after the verdict:

I am thankful for today’s verdict. Nonetheless, I regret choices I made on August 31, resulting in circumstances that led to my arrest.

Thank you to my attorneys, friends, professional associates, and most importantly, my family for supporting me through this process.

Professionally, I’m grateful to Sandy Alderson for the opportunity to lead baseball operations for the Mets and wish my former teammates nothing but the best going forward.

I believe this humbling experience will make me a better husband, father, son, friend, and leader, and I look forward to what the future holds.

Said Scott’s attorney, Bruce Bendish, in a statement:

Today, after hearing and seeing all the evidence against our client, a judge in the White Plains City Court acquitted Zack Scott of all criminal charges against him. We are grateful for the judge’s diligent attention and consideration of the evidence, and believe he arrived at the only conclusion possible. While we understand and appreciate the reasons why the police officers suspected that Mr. Scott was driving while intoxicated, and respect their decision to place him under arrest, the simple fact was that Mr. Scott was not intoxicated or impaired by alcohol that evening. Rather, the evidence showed conclusively that Mr. Scott’s ability to operate a car was in no way impaired by alcohol.

At the GM meetings, Alderson had explained the Mets’ decision to move on from Scott.

“Just the general uncertainty around the situation that he faced, and not knowing how that uncertainty would be resolved in December. I think we felt that it was just best for us and potentially for him as well that we made that decision. I’ve talked to him, wished him well. He’s a good man.”

Scott’s case had initially been adjourned to Dec. 8 before being moved to Jan. 6.

Asked if Scott could return to the organization if there was a positive outcome regarding his case, Alderson said no.

Alderson added that he felt Scott did an “excellent job” for the Mets when he was acting as GM.

Before his arrest, Scott had been a candidate to be named the full-time GM.

Scott, who was replaced by Billy Eppler, took over for Jared Porter, who was fired last January shortly after being hired as GM after it was revealed that Porter sent unwanted, sexually explicit text messages to a female reporter in 2016 while working for the Chicago Cubs.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply