Home FAQ Colorado License Interview Attorney Fees Jim Forslund Gary Pareja

Why You May Be Able to Get A Colorado Driver's License If You've Lost Your License in Another State for Only $1200.00 in Payments

Please use FREE ONLINE EVALUATION to initiate the license process.

This information is current 4/17/16, 7:07 AM.

Don't risk driving without a valid driver license.

       You have to start off with the Interstate Driver License Compact. The compact basically says, for the states that are members, "if you won't give them a license because of a traffic matter, we won't give them a license".

       So, if any compact state has a hold on your license, it keeps you from getting a license in all the other states which are members of the Compact: all states except GA, MA, MI & WI. In fact, other states may not give you a license even if the hold is in these four states.

       All traffic matters which caused you to lose your license are counted. There are also some non-traffic matters which may have caused it, too.

       There is one exception to this. And that is Colorado.

       You see, in spite of a compact hold, the Colorado DMV will issue you a license after a hearing if it is determined that you are safe to drive, at least a year has passed since you lost your license or last drove, applicable Colorado would law allow you to drive here and you are a Colorado resident ("Resident" means any person who owns or operates any business in this state or any person who has resided within this state continuously for a period of ninety days or has obtained gainful employment within this state, whichever shall occur first). This is regardless of what any other state's law says.

       In practical terms this means that you must qualify for a license under Colorado law, have proof of address and have not driven for at least a year . And you should also know that Colorado DOES NOT have a certain length of stay residency requirement if you have a job or own or operate a business in Colorado. When we talk I'll give you more information about this. States that have tougher laws which we have successfully appealed include: New Jersey Pennsylvania Florida New York Oregon Washington Alaska Missouri Minnesota Michigan Massachusetts Utah Kansas Nebraska Indiana Illinois Iowa.

How Do You Know If You Qualify?

       It's simple, really. All you need to do is answer a few questions (You may take a Colorado License Interview here, but please read the FAQs first), and we can tell you if you may qualify (But please understand, we cannot guarantee that you will get a Colorado license. We are not the ones who make that decision.).

       Depending on your record, you may be eligible for a Colorado license after one year of not driving. Here is the regulation that makes a license possible even though another state has a hold on you. If you have lost your license for more than a year for impaired driving convictions and if a hearing officer finds that you are safe to give a license, he or she would apply Colorado law and order DMV to issue you a license. In most cases Colorado drivers only lose their licenses for one or two months for impaired driving offenses. If your hold is by GA, MA, MI & WI, we will personally assist you at the application stage to avoid complications and most likely be able help you get you a license without a hearing. You do not need to wait a year for these states.

Here's Exactly How it Works For Compact State Holds

       You apply for a license here in Colorado. You will need to pass the written test, so study the Colorado Driver Handbook first. Because of the hold from another state, you will then be turned down. You must have proper identification when you apply including proof of your social security number and must tell the DMV clerk about the hold. Also you will need documentation of your address:


*EFFECTIVE April 4, 2011*

In order to be compliant with the Federal Real ID Act, ALL applicants must show two documents to prove their residential address.  (A minor child may use the parent's address indicated on their license if it is correct.)  Applicants may provide one of the documents listed below if it contains the applicant's current address:

  • Utility bill
  • Credit card statement
  • Pay stub or earnings statement
  • Rent receipt
  • Telephone bill
  • Transcript or report card from an accredited school
  • Bank statement
  • Mortgage document
  • Tax document
  • Homeowners/renter's insurance policy
  • Vehicle registration
  • Other items with address that can be reviewed by Driver's License personnel
  • see also DMV site
We can help you decide which is the best proof for your situation.

When you are turned down, you should ask for a written denial. The form is called COLORADO LICENSE NOT ISSUED DR2663. Purchase a Colorado State Identity Card

       After you retain us, we request a hearing on your behalf. It will take a few weeks to get a hearing set up. At the hearing you may be asked to prove that you're a resident, showing, for example, the fact that you have a job, Colorado business, or your address and how long you have been there, etc. The hearing office will request information from the state with the hold, but sometimes does not get enough information to adjudicate your case. You should have current driving records from all states that have holds on you. You must also be found to be safe to put on the road. This is important when you have drunk driving convictions. You should bring any documentation of your alcohol classes, treatment and AA attendance that you have.

       The hearing itself is not lengthy. The whole process usually only takes about a six weeks or less . . . but don't hold me to that.

       If we're successful here, the hearing officer will order DMV to issue you a license in spite of any holds. You'll then have to apply for a Instruction Permit (which includes a written test). Once you pass the test and get your picture Instruction Permit, you may take your driving test at a commercial driving school (because it takes what seems like forever to get set up for a test with the State). The driving school will provide the car and get you tested. Once you pass the driving test and take proof to DMV, you will be issued a license. Interlock documentation and class enrollment may also be required.

       For full information on whether or not you may qualify to get a Colorado driver's license even though yours is revoked or suspended in your home state, you call us today at 303-761-6067, and we'll give you a full rundown of what you need to know or for a fast response, you may take a Colorado License Interview here, but please read the FAQs first), and we can tell you if you may qualify.

Colorado Driver Licenses
Law Office of Jim Forslund
3780 S. Broadway
Englewood, CO 80113
FAX: 303-672-6815

Jim Forslund

Gary Pareja