QUINCY — A Quincy man was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol and later crashing into a Quincy church Saturday night.The Quincy Police Department reports that John Monahan, 53, was traveling east on Maine Street around 11:30 p.m. and struck a black Toyota occupied by two women, who were not hurt.The report says Monahan then turned left to go northbound on Fourth Street and struck a light pole and unoccupied parked van. Monahan reportedly then turned onto Hampshire Street and his 2005 white Chevrolet van struck the Unity Church of Quincy, 403 Hampshire, and stopped.Monahan was arrested around 1:30 a.m. Sunday on charges of driving under the influence, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and improper lane usage. He was taken to Adams County Jail and later posted a $300 bond.The Quincy Fire Department, Adams County Ambulance Service and Adams County Sheriff’s Department assisted.
Man caught driving drunk with kids, faces possible deportationBy Pat Tomlinson | June 14, 201752 Photo: Contributed Photo / Wilton Police DepartmentAntonio Guzman-Retana, 36, of DanburyWILTON — An illegal immigrant is at risk of being deported for the third time after police caught him driving drunk with two young children in the car, police said.A man who identified himself as Enrique Lopez-Lopez was pulled over around 6 p.m. Sunday for swerving over the double yellow line while driving south on Ridgefield Road, police said.Upon being pulled over, the driver informed police that he had no driver’s license or any other form of identification in his possession.In addition to smelling a strong odor of alcohol escaping the windows, police observed two of the man’s children, both under 10 years old, sitting in the backseat of the car.Lopez-Lopez was asked to perform the field sobriety test, which he was unable to do, police said. The driver also refused to submit to a breath analysis test.After placing the man under arrest, police contacted the children’s mother and had her pick them up from the scene before transporting the suspect back to headquarters.As police processed the driver back at the department, they learned that the man had initially lied to police about his identity. Fingerprint analysis revealed that the man was Antonio Guzman-Retana, a 36-year-old Danbury resident who already been deported twice from the U.S for illegal immigration.Guzman-Retana was charged with driving while under the influence, driving while under the influence with children in the car, operating with no driver’s license and failure to drive in the proper lane. He was held on a $15,000 bond, and he was scheduled to be arraigned the next day.While in lockup, police also discovered that Guzman-Retana also had an active warrant for his arrest out of Danbury for first-degree failure to appear, which means he missed a date to face felony charges in court. For this offense, Guzman faced an additional $7,500 bond.Since the suspect is an illegal immigrant, Lt. Rob Kluk, a police spokesman, said that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was also informed about the arrest.
She has now been charged over the incident, and if convicted she could be jailed for up to six months and fined $1,000.
It was previously reported the ‘Sharknado: The 4th Awakens’ actress had been taken to hospital for evaluation after being picked up by police.
She was then taken to a nearby jail and booked after being medically cleared.
Meanwhile, Hayley has previously spoken about the bullying she received because she was overweight as a youngster.
She said: “I was picked on a lot as a child. One time that most stands out is during a dance at school. I heard this boy say, ‘I got the fat girl.’ Afterwards, I told my mother, ‘Don’t ever make me go again.’ It was awful. But I just wasn’t formed the same way as everyone else.”
But now, Hayley is happy with how she looks and is pleased with the rise in plus size girls on catwalks, as there “was nothing” when she started modeling aged 14.
She said: “The number of bigger girls on the catwalk is ever-growing. When I was 14 and starting out, there was nothing, but now there’s so much plus-size on the high street – even in high fashion.”
Amanda Bynes has spoken out publicly for the first time in four years, announcing her plans to return to acting.
“I do miss acting, and I have something surprising to tell you: I’m going to start acting again,” Bynes said in an interview with Hollyscoop founder/”The Lowdown” host Diana Madison. “I want to do TV. Maybe a few guest spots on some shows that I’m a fan of and maybe another TV show where I’m the star of it, in the future. That’s what I hope.”
Bynes declared her retirement from acting via Twitter in 2010.
When asked how she’s doing after so many years, Bynes said, “I’m doing great, thank you. Really great.”
“I’ve been going to school lately, fashion school–FIDM. And I love it,” she added. “I’ve learned how to sew, I’ve made patterns, and I want to start a clothing line in the future, so FIDM has been helping me with that. Other than that I hike, I go spinning — I take spinning classes — and I feed the homeless. And that’s been really interesting and fun.”
During the interview, the former Nickelodeon star said she is three years sober. In 2014, the actress was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence of a drug after California Highway Patrol observed her white Mercedes Benz GL 450 stopping in the middle of a Sherman Oaks, Calif. intersection.
She was previously booked in 2012 after hitting a police car. The actress agreed to a plea deal stemming from that arrest back in February, the terms of which put her on three-years probation and forced her to enter three months of drug and alcohol treatment.
In addition to her driving related arrests, Bynes has made tabloid headlines in recent years for everything from a driveway fire to a flurry of bizarre and often vitriolic tweets.
In July of 2013, Bynes entered rehab and stayed there under a court-ordered psychiatric hold. She was released that December and eventually enrolled in Los Angeles’ Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.
In 2014, Bynes also took to Twitter to accuse her father of physically and sexually abusing her as a child, which she then recanted, also via the social media site.
Bynes’ last on-screen role was 2010’s “Easy A,” in which she starred as Marianna alongside Emma Stone and Penn Badgley. Prior to that, she starred in “Hairspray” in 2007 and “She’s the Man” in 2006.
One of the Carolina Country Music Fest organizers, Bob Durkin, was arrested early Saturday morning for driving under the influence (DUI).According to a police report, the 46-year-old was arrested around 4 a.m. Saturday. Myrtle Beach Police were responding to a motor vehicle collision near 26th Avenue North and North Kings Highway.In an unrelated incident, the report states Durkin was in an “off roading” vehicle and seen backing into a white SUV. While interviewing Durkin, the officer suspected Durkin may be intoxicated, according to the report. ADVERTISINGThree sobriety tests were administered.Durkin was arrested and taken to Myrtle Beach Jail.He was charged with DUI first offense, operating an uninsured motor vehicle, no vehicle registration, and improper backing.We reached out to Durkin for comment and received the following statement:”Last night was our most successful night of Carolina Country Music Fest ever, with a record-breaking 29,000 concertgoers in attendance. With that kind of attendance comes great responsibility. Our staff, myself included, work long hours before and after the event to ensure that guests make it home safely, streets are clean of debris and the festival ground is suitable and safe for the next day’s events. Last night, I was detained for the suspicion of operating a cart under the influence of alcohol. While I cannot discuss the details of pending charges, I can say that I look forward to presenting evidence in court that will clear this up. Carolina Country Music Fest is grateful for the long-hours and manpower of the Myrtle Beach Police Department. They assure that laws are abided by while the city’s residents and visitors safe. We look forward to two more exciting nights as Carolina Country Music Fest presents Kenny Chesney and Jason Aldean.”
Former Razorback, NFL’s Jonathan Williams Found Not Guilty in Drunk Driving Case FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. Great day for Buffalo Bills running back Jonathan Williams — who fought his 2016 drunk driving arrest … AND WON.TMZ Sports broke the story … Williams — a 5th round pick out of Arkansas in 2016 — was pulled over in Fayetteville, AR on July 14, 2016 when cops suspected he had been drinking. Williams had admitted to drinking a 40 oz. before getting behind the wheel, but refused to take a breathalyzer … leading to his arrest. He begged cops to give him a pass because he was just drafted into the NFL. Williams pled not guilty and took the case to trial — where prosecutors failed to prove JW was driving drunk that night. Why? We’re told the lack of a positive blood alcohol test was a factor.We spoke with Williams’ lawyer, Shane Wilkinson, who says, “The prosecution simply didn’t have enough evidence to prove he was intoxicated.””Jonathan is a good person and he is glad this is behind him so he can concentrate on his family and football.”
- Rondell L. Dungy, the man who collided with five cyclists in a hit-and-run on Saturday, was arraigned this morning.
Dungy, 27, is charged with aggravated vehicular assault and suspected OVI, for the incident on St. Clair Avenue. The cyclists were struck at 2:35 a.m., and all five were transported to University Hospital.
The cyclists were riding in St. Clair’s westbound curb lane at the time of the crash. One of the cyclists was also hit by a woman driving a Chevy Cobalt behind Dungy’s car; she fled the scene.
The victims included three females, one aged 17 and two aged 24, as well as 42- and 45-year-old men. The latter are in stable condition at the hospital, and the three females have been released.
Dungy has pleaded not guilty and received a bond set at $15,000.
The female driver has yet to be caught, and the Cleveland Police urge anyone with information to call 216-621-1234.
Judge Astacio declined an offer to plead guilty. She will remain in the Monroe County Jail without bail until a scheduled hearing Thursday at 1:30 p.m. (June 5, 2017) Tina MacIntyre-Yee Max Schulte
Around the time she was being served her first breakfast behind bars, Rochester City Court Judge Leticia Astacio made news Tuesday when her lawyer announced that he had been fired.
By dinner time, her lawyer, Ed Fiandach, was back on the case.
Fiandach said early in the day that he was dismissed via a text message from Astacio’s sister late Monday night and that he learned of the development when he looked at his phone Tuesday morning.
But Fiandach confirmed late Tuesday that he would remain Astacio’s counsel and said the embattled judge told him during a jailhouse meeting that her sister had fired him without her permission.
“She said her family was upset that she was in jail and said, ‘My sister was acting without my authority,’ ” Fiandach said.
News that Fiandach would keep the job was first reported by WROC-TV News 8.
Firing an attorney in a criminal matter is not as simple an undertaking as sending a text message. The task requires the defendant, in this case Astacio, to sign a form requesting a change of counsel and that the form be approved by the presiding judge.
None of that happened in this case, but that did not stop Fiandach from telling reporters throughout the day that he had been fired. He expressed disappointment over the development and said he shared a “personal connection” with Astacio.
Fiandach, a high-profile lawyer who specializes in DWI defense, recalled once trying a case in front of Astacio and her calling him to the bench to tell him, “I’m only here because of you.”
He said she went on to explain that a lecture he gave years earlier to her class at Irondequoit High School, when she was a student there, inspired her to become a lawyer.
“I really liked her,” Fiandach said. “I’ve been in this long enough to know that anybody on any given night can get a DWI. I worried about her losing her job.”
Astacio, who is being held in jail without bail, was initially slated to return to court Thursday for a hearing on a charge that she violated a condition of her sentence in her drunken driving case by failing to take a urine test for alcohol in her system.
She is now expected to appear in court Wednesday morning for a bail request hearing.
No written application for bail had been filed as of late Tuesday, but Ontario County Judge William Kocher, who was appointed to rule on any such application, is slated to hold court in Rochester at 9:30 a.m. and Fiandach said he would make an oral argument for Astacio to be released on bail.
The relationship between Astacio and Fiandach has been the source of much public speculation throughout her legal drama, as she continuously pushed the boundaries of the justice system and he invariably offered a spirited defense.
The speculation rose to a fevered pitch in recent days, as Astacio’s behavior grew more erratic and Fiandach posted on his Facebook page what were perceived by commenters to be thinly veiled musings on developments in her case.
Last week, on the same day a bench warrant was issued for Astacio’s arrest for her failing to appear in court and her claim to be living in a monastery in Thailand became public, Fiandach wrote on Facebook: “…Um, I had an, uh, interesting day.”
Asked recently by a reporter whether he would consider dropping her case, Fiandach replied the ethics of his profession forbade him from doing so.
The juxtaposition between client and lawyer was perhaps never more evident throughout the case than Monday, when Astacio was arrested and marched out of the courthouse in handcuffs with Fiandach by her side.
Astacio beamed for the cameras and giggled audibly when she was escorted into the elevator away from the media circus. Throughout it all, Fiandach wore a dour look that seemed to say, “Not again.”
That night, he wrote on Facebook: “… another rough day.”
Charged is 43-year-old Francisco Abad.
A witness reported Abad asleep at the wheel at 11:50 p.m. Sunday at Grand Avenue and Route 46. The witness then followed Abad as he began driving away, nearly hitting two parked cars, police said.
Authorities say a man died and a woman was injured when an 18-year-old drunk driving suspect crashed into the bedroom of a home in the Dallas suburb of Mesquite.
| June 2, 2017, at 4:41 p.m
MESQUITE, Texas (AP) — Authorities say a man died and a woman was injured when an 18-year-old drunk driving suspect crashed into the bedroom of a home in the Dallas suburb of Mesquite.
Mesquite police say the driver of the pickup truck crashed into the house Thursday night. The driver, Steven Tutt, was arrested on an intoxication manslaughter charge. He remained in jail Friday morning. Jail records did not list an attorney for him.
Police say said 42-year-old Jose Reyes died from injuries sustained in the crash. Police say 43-year-old Yesenia Vasquez was taken to a hospital in stable condition.
Police say neither Tutt nor his 24-year-old passenger was injured in the crash. The passenger was arrested on a charge of public intoxication.