Two men suspected of drunk driving have been arrested after crashing into Wichita police patrol cruisers over the weekend.
James Dale Johnson and Lesster O. Raudales-Varela were arrested after separate incidents on Saturday, Officer Charley Davidson said Monday. The men both have two prior DUI convictions, according to police records.
The first crash happened at around 2:15 a.m. in west Wichita when an officer was responding to a call of a wrong-way driver at Kellogg and Maize. A white Ford F-350 driven by Johnson was traveling the wrong way on Kellogg, Davidson said, and collided head-on with the patrol vehicle.
The officer tried to avoid the wreck, police said. The pickup continued east in the westbound lanes of the divided highway before crashing into the median at Kellogg and Meridian. The officer was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and released, and Johnson was not hurt.
Get full access to The Wichita Eagle content across all your devices.
The second wreck happened at around 10:50 p.m. in south Wichita while police were working an unrelated accident on Hydraulic under the I-135 overpass. An officer was sitting in his patrol vehicle blocking the southbound lanes of traffic when a white BMW 3 Series driven by Raudales-Varela crashed into the side of the police cruiser, Davidson said.
The car also hit a gray Ford Taurus occupied by a 19-year-old woman. After police stopped the car, officer found that Raudales-Varela was under the influence of alcohol, police said. No serious injuries were reported.
Sedgwick County Jail booking reports show Johnson, 58, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, DUI after second conviction, driving the wrong direction on a one-way road, driving on an expired driver’s license and failure to stop at an injury accident. Raudales-Varela, 37, was arrested on suspicion of DUI after second conviction, reckless driving and transporting an open container.
Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article234157897.html#storylink=cpy
Broken Pencil who.
Never mind it’s pointless! http://pun.me/pages/knock-knock-jokes.php
COVENTRY TOWNSHIP, Ohio – 70-year-old William Lavery faces multiple charges after driving into Dunkin Donuts on Manchester Road in Coventry Township Saturday.
According to the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, Lavery was in the drive-thru lane when he put his vehicle in reverse.
He hit the car behind him and caused that car to hit another vehicle.
The sheriff says Lavery then drove forward into another vehicle, causing it to hit the car in front of it.
Lavery then side-swiped another vehicle and drove into the front of the restaurant, according to a press release.
He hit a person inside the restaurant.
3 people were treated for minor injuries.
Lavery faces multiple charges including driving under the influence and negligent assault.https://fox8.com/2019/08/19/sheriff-man-who-hit-person-multiple-cars-at-coventry-township-dunkin-donuts-was-under-the-influence/
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) – A U.S. District Court judge in Cedar Rapids sentenced a man to 2 years in prison after police said he illegally entered the country after being deported twice.
In March 2019, Sergio Sanchez-Juarez, 32, of Mexico, pleaded guilty to coming into the country illegally after having been convicted of a felony.
According to the plea, “Sanchez-Juarez admitted he had previously been deported from the United States in September 2017 and November 2017 and illegally reentered the United States without the permission of the United States government.”
Officials said Sanchez-Juarez has illegally entered the United States at least six times. He was deported after an OWI conviction in September 2017.
He also has prior convictions in Linn County, Iowa, in January 2011 and June 2014 for OWI, according to court records.
“Sanchez-Juarez was found by immigration agents in November 2018 after he was charged in Linn County, Iowa, with OWI. He was convicted of this fourth OWI offense in February 2019. Sanchez-Juarez was also deported to Mexico in February 2007 and July 2014.”
Broccoli doesn’t have a last name, silly.http://pun.me/pages/knock-knock-jokes.php
RACINE — A Racine man is facing his fifth OWI charge after police say he jumped into Lake Michigan to try and escape. It all happened at the Reefpoint Marina on Friday night, Aug. 9. Police say the man jumped into the water and hid under one of the docks. What he said was in the water had police questioning his sobriety.
Body camera footage captured the man struggling with officers trying to arrest him.
“He indicated he was looking for pedophiles and cartel, and that he was going to bust the cartel,” said Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling.
Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling said statements made by 38-year-old Cesar Angeles, are just more proof that he should have never been behind the wheel of a car.
Angeles is accused of first backing his car into the car of a security guard before fleeing the scene of the accident on foot. He then jumped into the water.
“Our boat patrol happened to be in the area and located him hiding in the water underneath a pier,” said Schmaling.
Schmaling says once out of the water, Angeles resisted arrest and refused all field sobriety tests.
“This all could have been prevented,” Schmaling said. “Think about how many people’s lives he put at risk last night.”
What concerns Schmaling about the arrest, is Angeles already has four OWI convictions.
“He still has, well did have a valid driver’s license up to this point which should be concerning to all of us. He clearly hasn’t learned his lesson and I’m hoping this fifth offense, once he goes in front of a circuit court judge, that they make an example out of him.”
Angeles is being held on the following charges with a bond set at $5,300:
- OWI 5th Offense
- Resisting/Obstructing an Officer
The blood tests have not come back but Sheriff Schmaling expects it will reveal Angeles was well over the legal limit. https://fox6now.com/2019/08/10/racine-man-in-custody-following-5th-owi-offense-trying-to-swim-away-from-officers-in-lake-michigan/
ROME — Raymond Meier, who formerly served as a state senator and Oneida County executive, is facing drunk driving charges after he was arrested Saturday in Rome, according to the Rome Police Department.
Police said Meier was charged at approximately 6:30 p.m. Saturday with common law DWI and aggravated DWI, which indicates a blood alcohol content of 0.18 percent or higher, after almost hitting several vehicles. Additional details were not immediately available.
Meier served as a state Senator of New York’s 47th district from 1997 to 2007. Before that, he served as the county executive from 1991 to 1996. During his tenure as a state senator, Meier ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2006 against Michael Arcuri.
At the moment, Meier is a longtime supporter and volunteer with current Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente, Jr.’s reelection campaign, serving as an “honorary chairman,” according to Picente’s office. https://www.uticaod.com/news/20190812/former-state-senator-oneida-county-executive-charged-with-dwi