- California man Alexander Samek, 45, was arrested Friday morning at 3.37am
- He was found passed out behind the wheel of his Tesla Model S car by officers
- His car is believed to have been on autopilot mode going down Highway 101 at 70mph while the driver was asleep
- California Highway Patrol officers had to drive in front of his car to slow it down
- He allegedly failed a field sobriety test and was arrested
- Officers suspect that his car was on autopilot mode, investigation to take place
A California man has been arrested on suspicion of drunk driving after he was found asleep behind the wheel of his Tesla believed to be running on autopilot mode.
Alexander Samek, 45, was arrested in Palo Alto early Friday morning at 3.37am in his grey Model S Tesla and was identified by Redwood City Police.
Cops followed his car after spotting the Tesla driving south on Highway 101 at 70mph while it looked like the driver was passed out behind the wheel.
They suspect the car was on autopilot mode, but a proper investigation will take place.
In order to get the car to stop a California Highway Patrol officer had to get in front of the Tesla to make it slow down and eventually pull over at a gas station.
When officers peered into the car, the driver was still passed out.
The officer who pulled him over said the driver appeared very drowsy and possibly sleeping, according to KTVU.
The driver was woken up and allegedly failed a field sobriety test and was arrested, according to ABC.
Cops followed his car after spotting the Tesla driving south on Highway 101 at 70mph while it looked like the driver was passed out behind the wheel
But this isn’t the first time an incident like this has happened.
In January CHP officers pulled over a Tesla and found an allegedly drunk driver also passed out behind the wheel and was found to have a blood alcohol level twice the legal limit, according to CBS.
Officer Art Montiel says the autopilot function on the smart cars should only be used to assist driers while they’re awake and sober and actively using the wheel.